We strongly recommend that all students from year 7 - 11 are equipped with a personal device for 2019.
Since introducing 1:1 device use with a pilot class 4 years ago, we have been ‘rolling up’ a 1:1 device learning environment year by year. During this time the school has transformed many of its other systems to digital platforms. Students in all year 7-10 classes now routinely use access to their school digital platform (Google for Education) for their normal work. Device use is about ‘which technology is best’ - device or paper and pen, and often this means using both at once.
In 2019 we continue rolling up this process. It is important that we prepare students for their future, not our past!
As a school, we are comfortable for students to bring their preferred device to school. We do not advocate one device over another. Students typically use a range of devices including iPads, Laptops, chrome books and tablets. As a primary device we recommend the following minimum specifications:
- Minimum screen size of 7 inches (minimum usable resolution of 1024 x 600)
- Running iOS11.0+, or Android 6.0+, Mac OSX 10.11+ (El Capitan) or Windows 10
- Battery life of 5-6 hours • Wireless Capability
- Minimum storage for tablets of 32GB (due to the increasing size of apps)
- Google Chrome installed (Google Cloud Print is used for printing from student devices)
- Protective case strongly recommended
- Bluetooth keyboard or keyboard/tablet case combination is recommended, particularly for smaller tablets less than 9” e.g ipad mini
We recommend buying a device that is or can be updated to the latest operating system as this will give the device a longer life and allow newly introduced apps to be used.
Please be aware that these minimum specs could change during the year as the apps we use are updated.
We recommend buying a device that is or can be updated to the latest operating system as this will give the device a longer life.
Updated November 2018