As a school, we are comfortable for students to bring their preferred device to school. We will not be advocating one device over the other. This year students have used a range of devices including iPads, Laptops, chrome books and tablets. As a primary device we recommend the following minimum specifications:
- Minimum screen size of 7 inches (minimum usable resolution of 1024 x 600)
- Running iOS9.0+, or Android 5.0+, or Windows 8.1/10
- Battery life of 5-6 hours
- Wireless Capability
- Minimum storage for tablets of 32GB (due to the increasing size of apps)
- Google Chrome installed (Google Cloud Print is used for printing from student devices)
- Protective case is strongly recommended
- Bluetooth keyboard or keyboard/tablet case combination is recommended
Please be aware that these minimum specs could change during the year as the apps we use are updated (for example Mathletics minimum specs were updated in May 2016).
We recommend buying a device that is or can be updated to the latest operating system as this will give the device a longer life.
Updated 29 August 2016
The following information is published with permission from the magazine, Interface. We have a subscription to Interface with copies being available at both campuses for teachers and at both libraries for students. Much of the content is online at www.interfaceonline.co.nz
Search for ‘BYOD’ on the Interface website to find out about other schools and BYOD.
(article published 2015)