In order to use the internet on JHC-BYOD wifi you are required to install an access certificate onto your BYOD device. If you do not install the certificate, your access will be very limited.
Click here to download the new security certificate (from 1 June 2019) (not required on Chromebooks)
N4L are upgrading their service requiring all network users to install a new security certificate. The upgrade will happen on 31 May. Students should install the new security certificate during May so they are ready for the changeover.
Please follow the instructions specific to your device(s) to download and install the certificate.
- Chromebooks have the security certificate automatically installed when they connect to the JHC-BYOD wifi.
- Please install this certificate on any personal device you use on the JHC-BYOD wifi such as your phone, tablet, laptop etc.
- You do not need to install this on school owned devices as these will have the certificate installed automatically.
N4L – our school internet provider
N4L (Network for Learning) is a government managed network, providing digital content (the Internet) to help teachers and students navigate the complexities of learning in the 21st century. This provides fast and free internet access to the school.
The school is subject to N4L filtering and other protocols.
What does this mean for users at JHC?
It means that student’s internet will be subject to filtering (as it has always been) and access will be logged to make sure it complies with the school policies and standards.
Reporting on internet use will be done but individual users internet use will not be monitored unless there is a good reason.
These are the types of reports that the onsite engineer can create. They are used for for trouble shooting technical issues, for monitoring heavy usage or harmful use in relation to the safe and efficient functioning of the network.
Here is an example of an individual report that could be created. You can see how much data has been used. You can see the names of the websites that have been visited.
Web filtering information gathered will be a useful tool to support our digital citizenship policy.
Some sites use secure connections and the school will have the ability to monitor these connections but some traffic will be excluded such as Internet Banking for privacy reasons.
To enable Secure filtering a certificate is required to be installed on BYOD devices. This enables the school to maintain digital policy and standards. Please note, these certificates will only apply while the device is on the school wifi, and will not impact any device use at home or elsewhere. You can download the certificate using the link at the top of the page.
If a student decides they need access to material that is blocked by filtering they need to discuss this with their classroom teacher in the first instance. Teachers will be able to have the blocking policy reviewed by the Network Managers if they deem it justified.
Help to Install the Certificate
At Senior see the Student Tech Support in the library before school, interval and lunchtime.
At Junior come to the library at 1.10 on Tuesday or Thursday with your device.
Security Certificate details:
sha1 Thumbprint: 9100ADDF 61D087D8 09FFF9ED 0FC146FE 230840B4
Issued by: N4L_552_1818_
You are able to access the internet from everywhere in the school using the James Hargest wireless network.
Follow these instructions to connect to the JHC-BYOD student wireless network. If you encounter any problems please see the Tech Support students at the Senior and Junior Campus.
Checking your balance
Students can only check their printing balance while at school.
You can log into your papercut account by going to http://jhps02:9191/user
Printing from a student device
- Mobility Print works just like AirPrint—print your content as you normally would!
- You’ll be prompted to enter your Network Username and Password.
- Click this link to download and run the Mobility Print installer.
- You’ll be prompted to select the printers you want to use, and to enter your Network username and password.
- When it’s time to print, just print like you normally do. Be sure to use a printer you selected when you installed Mobility Print.
- Make sure you are signed in with your school account. It will automatically install the mobility print application.
- When you select a printer, make sure you select a Mobility Print printer as identified by the PaperCut icon PaperCut logo.
- When prompted, sign in and select “Sign in with Google”
Mac OS Devices
- Navigate to System Preferences > Printers and Scanners.
- Click the + icon under the Printers List.
- The Add dialog is displayed. It displays a list of all of the discovered printers on the network.
- Select a printer that uses the Bonjour protocol. The Name, Location, and Use is displayed.
- At the bottom of the dialog box, check that Use is set to Secure AirPrint.
- Click Add.
- Print your document. When prompted, enter your Network username and password.
- Make sure your Android is connected to your organization’s WiFi.
- Install the Mobility Print app from the Google Play Store.
- Launch the app.
- Tap Android settings.
- Tap Mobility Print.
- Tap the enable toggle.
- Exit out of Settings.
- Print your document. When prompted, enter your PaperCut username and password.
- The way you print is different depending on the app you want to print from. For more information, see the documentation for the app. When you select a printer, make sure you select a Mobility Print printer as identified by the PaperCut icon PaperCut logo
- If you select the Remember me check box, your phone will remember your login details for that printer for 30 days.
If you need to assign an account to your print job, then you can do so at the MFD or via the Mobile web client.
Device requirements: Mobility Print supports Android 4.4+. Supported devices includes Android phones and tablets from Google, Samsung, HTC, Lenovo, LG, Sony, Huawei among others.
For more information see:
Google Suite is the platform that is predominantly used by our school. All teachers and students have a school google account and use many of the apps in their teaching and learning.
To log on to your school google account
- Type into the browser jhc.school.nz
2. This will bring up a sign in window.
3. Your username is your studentIDnumber@jhc.school.nz an example user name is firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Your password is your school network password.
5. If you are unable to log on to your school google account, please check the following
- does your username end in @jhc.school.nz? (not jameshargest)
- have you closed your browser and re-opened it then tried again?
- are you using your personal gmail account?
If you are still unable to log on after these checks, ask your teacher to reset your password or your teacher can contact the Cyclone Help Desk to do this as well.
Microsoft Office365 ProPlus
Students get a complete version of the latest Microsoft Office free to use for as long as they’re a student here.
You can install Office 365 on up to 5 PCs or Macs and on other mobile devices, including Windows tablets and iPads for free. You will need your school email address and password.
- Your school email address is your student ID eg email@example.com
- The website to login is https://portal.office.com
This is what you see when you are logged in.
A couple of tips
- the software downloads onto the laptop or device that you are using e.g if you want the software on your home computer, follow the instructions using that computer
- check the username carefully, there is a dot after jameshargest
Microsoft Minecraft Education
Students and staff get a complete version of Minecraft for Education free to use on Chromebooks, Windows 10 & iPads
You will need to sign into Minecraft Education with your school email address and password.
To download go to the Minecraft Education Edition download page
Use the links to download from the Microsoft Store or the Apple App store.
Click here to download Microsoft Windows 11 Education. This software is free for James Hargest students and $15 for staff for the lifetime of the device.
Norton 360 Deluxe
Click here to then sign in with your school email and password.
Norton™ 360 Deluxe helps shield your devices against cybercriminals and scammers while you surf, bank, socialize and shop online. When you go online, your devices are susceptible to threats, such as ransomware that holds your files hostage, or spyware that captures your passwords. Norton Security Deluxe is designed to recognize and help block those threats before they get to you — helping to protect your private and financial information. Browse the web confidently while Norton Security helps block unsafe links, malicious downloads and virus- ridden websites.
Norton 360 Deluxe is $48.36 for one year.
After you leave JHC, your school Google account will no longer be available to you. Please download any files you would like to keep before you leave school.
This guide will help you download all of the data you have created in your school provided google account.
If you are recieving unwanted txt messages then this link might help you resolve the problem
If your are having facebook issues with someone